Skip to main content

Auckland is at Alert Level 3, which means some changes to our hospitals and clinics. Find out moreAs always, we're here if you need us.

Get the best care for you and your whānau

Know where to go when you’re sick or injured.

Find the right care for you logo

This information is also available in Chinese [PDF, 359 KB]Korean [PDF, 335 KB]Hindi [PDF, 357 KB]Samoan [PDF, 343 KB]Tongan [PDF, 342 KB].

For additional information on the New Zealand health system in other languages visit Your Local Doctor.()



Get a COVID-19 test if you have cough, runny nose, sore throat, shortness of breath, loss of smell, fever – Phone ahead if you need medical care.

Find out more about COVID-19 and where to get tested().



Call 0800 611 116 24 hours a day / 7 days a week for free health advice from a registered nurse if you’re:

  • feeling unwell – but not sure whether you need to see a doctor

  • needing some urgent advice about a family member or friend who’s sick

  • on holiday and want to know where the nearest doctor or pharmacy is.



Pharmacists can provide advice and treatment for common conditions including:

  • coughs and colds

  • diarrhoea

  • headaches

  • other minor ailments 

Find a pharmacist near you by visiting Healthpoint.


Family doctor 

See your family doctor for all non-urgent, less serious, health concerns including:

  • stubborn coughs and colds

  • pain management

  • long term illnesses.

If necessary, your family doctor can refer you to a specialist for further assessment or treatment.

If you don’t have a family doctor (also known as a GP) ask friends or neighbours if they can recommend one. You can also find one on Healthpoint()


Urgent care 

If your family doctor is not available your local Urgent Care Clinic (Accident and Medical), or after-hours clinic can provide urgent care for illnesses and injuries including:

  • minor illnesses

  • eye injuries

  • sports injuries

  • mild asthma.

You don’t need to make an appointment to be seen. Some are open 24/7 and provide free or low cost care for:

  • children under 13 years old

  • adults over 65 years old

  • people with low incomes.

Find an Urgent Care Clinic. To learn more about the fees charged by a particular clinic, visit their page on Healthpoint().



Go to the nearest hospital emergency department, or call 111, for life threatening medical emergencies including:

  • chest pain

  • head injuries

  • severe blood loss

  • major accidents.

During busy times people who arrive at our Emergency Department with non-urgent injuries may experience a long wait. Please be patient and understand that we take your care seriously, but we must treat the people with urgent illnesses first.


Is this information available in other languages?

This information is available in Chinese [PDF, 359 KB] Korean [PDF, 335 KB] Hindi [PDF, 357 KB] Samoan [PDF, 343 KB] Tongan [PDF, 342 KB]

For additional information on the New Zealand health system in other languages visit Your Local Doctor.

Help! I'm feeling sick, where do I go?

Your family doctor plays an important role in keeping your family healthy. Usually they're the first place you should go for non-urgent health concerns including stubborn coughs, colds, and pain management. They also provide treatment for long-term conditions and illnesses. You can call them for health advice and to make an appointment to be seen. 

If you can’t get in touch with your doctor or aren’t sure where to go contact Healthline on 0800 611 116 for free health advice. If English isn’t your first language there are interpreters who can help.

When should I go to the hospital?

The Hospital Emergency Department is for life-threatening conditions. If it’s an emergency, don’t hesitate - call 111 or go to your nearest hospital emergency department. 

Do I need to see a doctor?

Healthline is here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0800 611 116. Healthline nurses are specialists in assessing and advising over the phone.

Phone calls are free from within New Zealand – this includes calls from a mobile phone.

Visit the Ministry of Health for information about Healthline.

My child is unwell. What should I do?

If your child is unwell, it's always best to seek medical attention sooner, rather than later. Don't wait to see if their condition gets worse. If you are not sure whether to take them to hospital you can visit your GP or call Healthline on 0800 611 116 to speak with a nurse. In an emergency always call 111.

What if I don't have a family doctor?

You can find a family doctor (and see their prices) on Healthpoint. You can enter your address or browse by suburb to find one near you.

I can't get to the doctors, what should I do?

To seek immediate health advice, contact your family doctor or call Healthline on 0800 611 116 to speak to an experienced nurse, 24/7. They can assess you over the phone and advise you on what to do. If English isn’t your first language, there are interpreters who can help.

Visit the Ministry of Health for more information.

My doctor is closed. Where should I go?

If you need urgent care for minor illnesses and injuries but your doctor’s office is closed you can visit your nearest Accident and Medical (A&M) clinic. No appointment is necessary.

To learn more about the fees charged by a particular clinic, visit their page on Healthpoint.

You can also contact Healthline on 0800 611 116 for free advice.

How much is a family doctor or A&M clinic visit?

Family doctor/GP

Doctors’ practices and medical centres are privately owned and set their own fees. The cost of a visit will be lower if you’re enrolled with the GP, because the government subsidises the fee. Some general practices join a ‘low cost access’ programme run by their primary health organisation. This means they get extra government funding to keep their fees at low levels. 

There is generally a reduced rate for anyone under 18 or over 65. Some things like immunisations for children are free, and children under 13 are eligible for free general practice visits (both during the day and after-hours). 

To learn more about the fees charged by a particular practice, search for that practice on Healthpoint.

To learn more about enrolling with a GP and government programmes and services that may be available to you, visit the Ministry of Health.

A&M clinic

After-hours care usually costs more.  You may be able to enrol with some accident and medical, or after-hours clinics. The cost of a visit will be lower if you’re enrolled. To be sure, always check with the clinic.

To learn more about the fees charged by a particular A&M clinic, visit their page on Healthpoint.

Why is my wait so long?

If you need urgent hospital-based care, you will still receive the treatment you need, and the same high level of care from our clinicians.

However, if you arrive at our ED with less critical illnesses or injuries you are likely to experience a long wait. Please be patient and understand that we take your care seriously, but must treat people with urgent illnesses first. We will also be discharging patients as soon as they are well enough to go home, in order to free up hospital bed space.

We’re taking these steps to ensure our specialised hospital services are available to you, your friends, whanau and community when you have a serious illness or injury.

Am I eligible for public funded health care in NZ?

To find out if you are eligible for publicly funded health and disability services, the eligibility criteria and what you need to prove your eligibility, visit the Ministry of Health