Every day of the year, Auckland District Health Board (DHB) brings together thousands of people to deliver world-class healthcare and drive for healthy communities. More than 10,000 people are directly employed by the Auckland DHB and many others work in collaboration with us as volunteers, contractors, suppliers and professional partners.
Welcome, Haere Mai – We see you, we welcome you as a person.
Respect, Manaaki – We respect, nurture and care for each other.
Together, Tūhono – We are a high performing team - colleagues, patients and families.
Aim high, Angamua – We aspire to excellence and the safest care.
As employers and employees, we make promises to each other when we decide to work together. As an employer, we are aiming to make it easy for our people to do their life’s best work at Auckland DHB. We want our workforce to be a shining example of a happy, healthy, high performing community.
In return, we promise our people:
- outstanding professional and personal development opportunities,
- that we’ll champion and support their physical and mental wellbeing,
- and we’ll be transparent and fair to ensure we can all live our values and commitments.
The Auckland DHB People Strategy [PDF, 1.1 MB] outlines our goals and ambitions, and the steps we’re taking to ensure we are a great place to work.
Interested in working with us?
We’re a Good Employer
Auckland DHB is an active and committed participant in the New Zealand Human Rights Commission’s Good Employer programme, and we are proud of our track record of improvement and high achievement. For the second year in a row, we received a 100 per cent rating in the 2016 report.
Celebrating Our People
We have just published the 2016 edition of ‘Celebrating Our People’ [PDF, 30 MB], a booklet which provides an opportunity to acknowledge and share the fantastic achievements of our people. Take the time to have a look through and see stories of innovation, achievement, loyalty and professionalism.
This booklet cannot describe the whole story, we have many everyday heroes emplyed at Auckland DHB and you are ALL truly appreciated for the work you do.
You can also see the 2015 edition here. [PDF, 2 MB]
Our Employee Engagement
In late 2016, we surveyed our employees to measure their engagement and satisfaction with Auckland DHB. The results of the survey help guide where we need to focus our efforts to achieve the Auckland DHB strategy and goals, through a better experience at work for our people.
57 per cent of our people responded to the survey, and they reported a 77 per cent employee engagement result.
They also told us we have strengths, and opportunities for improvement:
- Our purpose, values and objectives are clear to people – there is a clear sense of direction and people are clear about their individual roles.
- Teamwork is the cornerstone of safe healthcare: people report that individual teams work well together and colleagues are helpful, friendly and welcoming to each other.
- 78 per cent of people feel safe to speak up when there is an error or an issue – indicating a strong safety culture, with some room for improvement.
- The need to review workloads and check on our people’s health and wellbeing; and on quality of patient care.
- People would like to see more positive behaviours between colleagues, and more visible and supportive leadership and management.
- We can make further improvements in team-working and working between teams and services.
Action planning is underway across the organisation to strengthen the good things already happening for our people, and make improvements where required.